Ignite! Reading teaches kids to read.
Today, 67% of students and 82% of low income students can’t read at grade level by the end of third grade. That’s when you are supposed to go from learning to read to reading to learn. It’s America’s number one education crisis and we know how to fix it.
Ignite! teaches kids to read by providing 15 minutes a day of 1:1 virtual reading instruction. We focus on the reading fundamentals (letters, phonics & sight words) kids need to master so they can decode a sentence. Our program accelerates reading progress 2.4x and we are disrupting how schools think about reading instruction.
Ignite! launched our first school implementation in the fall of 2021. Sixteen months later, we will have grown our number of schools and students 35x.
Ignite! Is a mission driven public benefit corporation. We believe we can do well for our team members and shareholders while we solve one of the nation’s biggest challenges. We believe we will be more successful with a diverse team and are seeking candidates who have lived experience related to social justice, diversity, equity and inclusion.
Our Mission: Ensure that every child learns to read by the end of first grade.
To This End, Our Engineering Team Is Focused On Four Key Technology Needs
Ignite uses technology to enable the delivery of our virtual tutoring services, maximize the learning of our students, and accelerate our ability to scale.
- A tutoring logistics platform, which enables us to schedule, conduct and report on our tutoring sessions.
- A tutor workflow platform, which lets tutors know exactly what to teach each student every day.
- An extended learning application, which enables students to practice what they learn in their tutoring sessions after they return to the classroom or go home at night.
- An AI/ML implementation, which will enable us to ensure lesson fidelity as we scale.
Reporting to the VP of Engineering, the Senior Software Engineer for Ignite! Reading is responsible for leading software development projects in support of scaling Ignite to serve at least 100,000 students in the next 5 years.
- Assessing the state of technical needs and platforms across the organization
- Designing, testing and developing key software projects, building and optimizing solutions to meet the short and long term needs of Ignite! Reading
- Partnering with the tutoring, academic, and operations team to create and deliver solutions that meet the needs of internal and external customers
- Meeting or exceeding project timelines and deliverables
- Ensuring consistent functionality of Ignite! Reading platforms
- Supporting the development of the engineering function at Ignite! Reading
- Providing a continuous feedback loop on the customer experience in order to drive innovative program solutions and improvements
- 5+ years of pragmatic, real-world experience as a software engineer
- Product focused. You utilize product management methodologies and have the ability to understand the needs of our users and translate those needs into prioritized product features.
- Quality focused. You maintain high standards of code and lead thoughtful application design to ensure platform performance, uptime, and scale, and have excellent debugging and optimization skills.
- An orientation to collaboration
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Exceptional organizational, project management and time management skills
- Experience at early stage startups is a plus
- Ability to be self-managing and flexible while working in a remote environment
- Ability to roll up your sleeves and do whatever it takes to get the job done while balancing long-term projects with the urgency of immediate demands in a fast-paced start-up environment.
- At Ignite! Reading, we believe in building and fostering a diverse and inclusive workplace environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer where all applicants are considered for employment without attention to color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
- We are a virtual organization with headquarters in the California Bay Area.
- We offer competitive compensation, equity, and generous benefits packages.